« Spam Scam #7: New LawiPhone Application Artwork in iTunes »

iPhone Application Splash Screens

10/06/08

08:06:52 am, by Rick   , 119 words
Categories: iPhone

iPhone Application Splash Screens

Many iPhone applications present a brief 'splash screen' when starting up. Here's how to make one.

Create a PNG image named 'Default.png'. It must be exactly that filename, case sensitive. Put this in your Resources folder of the project. The application will display this image briefly when the application first loads.

Technically this image isn't supposed to be used as a splash screen. It is supposed to be a image which resembles the running UI of your application. It's purpose is to make the application show something while it is starting up. By doing this, it doesn't look like the application has frozen while starting up. Despite this, most people just use this feature as a splash screen.

9 comments

Comment from: barry
barrycan't wait to get home to try this. thanks!
10/22/08 @ 21:58
Comment from: Isaac Heyveld
Isaac HeyveldThanks for the information, I am adding the Default.png file to the resources folder and it works when I build to the simulator but when I build to the phone it is still a black screen. I scaled the image to the 320x480 size of the iPhone screen but no success... Any suggestions? Thanks. Isaac
01/22/09 @ 23:35
Comment from: Moebius Trip
Moebius Trip@Isaac You are right, Default.png' works fine in the simulator but not the iPhone itself. You should use 'default.png' instead -- Mac OS X is case sensitive and the iPhone explicitily looks for 'default.png'. M
01/26/09 @ 17:27
Comment from: Katsu
KatsuI made the default.png and add it to my apps. It works when I tried it with the simulator, but when I tried with the iPhone, (both Default.png and default.png), I didn't see anything.
05/19/09 @ 18:23
Comment from: Tony
TonyDelete the build folder and rebuild. This should work.
06/25/09 @ 21:30
Adeem BasraaI have written two tutorials on creating stylish splash screen. You can check it here. http://adeem.me/blog/2009/06/22/creating-splash-screen-tutorial-for-iphone/
06/27/09 @ 04:25
Comment from: swetha
swethaWorked like charm... Thank you so much
07/30/09 @ 20:55
Comment from: mms
mmsWow, I have no idea how simple to display a splash screen!! And it works pretty good, thanks for the tutorial!!
12/07/09 @ 20:28
Comment from: ramkumar
ramkumarhey really thanks....i am working for it for more than a day....
03/28/10 @ 23:12