Well, I survived my first week at the new job. Here's some opening thoughts on the place.
On my very first day, I noticed this parking place that was right next to the building. Not knowing any better, I parked there. It turned out it was the owner's parking space! Oops! I got paged and asked to move my car on my first day! :) A little later I noticed that the boss had parked his Lamborgini there... (wow, what a car!)
Today, I managed to destroy a bookshelf... It was located right outside my cubicle. It was the bookshelf where all the programming books were stored. I barely touched it only to see it slowly lean over and then collapse. Everyone got a good laugh at that. It turns out that the bookshelf had fallen apart once before and they had just barely got it back together. The bookshelf was weak and about to fall apart anyway, so it wasn't really my fault. It was one of those piece of crap particle board bookshelfs. Those things are so flimsy. I hate those things.
The drive to work each morning isn't too bad. It takes about 20-25 minutes to get there. The drive back in the evening is a lot more busy. That drive takes about 20-30 minutes. So far, so good.
The people at the company seem nice. They are all very friendly and seem to be all in all pretty cheerful. So far it doesn't seem like a very oppresive place. This is a good sign.
The source code is a monster! This is a tough program to study, especially if you are trying to fix bugs on such a big codebase and you know next to nothing about it. I was able to fix two very small bugs already this week. The boss was very happy to see that. He said he expected me to take a few weeks before I would be able to do that. Of course both of these bugs were very minor bugs. One was a simple typo and the other was a missing scroll bar on a dialog box. A simple 'grep' and I was able to find the location that needed fixing. The third bug that I got was a different story. My usual bug fixing technique is to find some unique string of text in the dialog box, message etc. and grep the source code for it. Then I look at the code around that text and figure out the solution. The problem on that third bug is that it's an error with one of the menus. The problem is that all of the menus and toolbars are completely customizable, down to the text in the menus themselves. This means that a grep really won't work, since there is no guarrantee that the text in the source will match the text on the menu. After asking for some help from the other developers, I think I was able to locate the place where I need to fix the bug, I'm just not sure how to fix it yet. I'm going to work on that some more on Monday. Hopefully I can fix that pretty quickly. I have a LONG way to go before I master this code!
I brought home a copy of the user manual for the program. It's a brick of a book. I'm going to try to do some reading on that book this weekend.
My computer works well and is very fast. Unfortunately, I have a stuck pixel on the LCD screen. It's not that noticable most of the time so I'm just kind of ignoring it as best I can. Even though that computer is really fast, the compiler has a habit of eating the computer alive as it builds.
The developers that I have dealt with so far, strike me as very knowledgeable people. They seem to know their stuff. What I've seen of the code so far looks pretty good. It seems fairly well written. Of course I've just scratched the surface, so we'll see how my opinion changes once I get into it more.