My weekends are never very relaxing. There's always stuff to do. Here's the story of this past weekend.
I had scheduled with DirecTV to come out Saturday between 8AM-12PM to install some additional plugs in the wall. I wanted to add DirecTV to my home office. It's the one room in my house I don't have it yet. This was the second time I'd made an appointment with them to to this. The previous time was several weeks ago. That time, the guy called me and told me he couldn't make it because he didn't have the parts he needed to do the installation. He said he would stop by the office and pick up the parts he needed and come by the next day (that Sunday). He never did. After a couple of weeks, I happened to get a phone call confirming my appointment on Thursday to do the installation. The problem is, I never scheduled the appointment for that day! I think they installer was trying to cover his butt and snuck in a new appointment without telling me. (Hello! I have to be there for the installation!). After hearing this, I called them back and made the official appointment for the installation for Saturday, (after chewing them out for making an appointment without TELLING ME!). Anyway, the guy never called and he never showed up. Now, if you are going to be late, I understand, but let me know! I don't have all day to waste twiddling my thumbs waiting for the installer to show up! I finally gave up on him and left to take care of the next thing on my list...
I hopped in the car and drove over to Pep Boys to get some work done on the car. As luck would have it, I was in need of an oil change, a tire rotation and 3 new tires, all at the same time! I knew this would take a while... I had no idea! They told me 2 1/2 hours. It took over 3 1/2 hours! I dropped off the car and left to grab some lunch and kill some time. 2 1/2 hours later, I come back to find my car sitting in the parking lot, with the new tires already mounted, and apparently ready to go. I went in to pay to find out that they hadn't done the alignment yet. They told me it would be about 10 minutes. I sat down and waited. I had told them to call me on my cell when the car was done. Of course they didn't. After sitting in the store for an additional hour waiting, I lost my patience and went to the counter to find out how much longer. The guy checks and finds out that my car was done a half hour ago! If it was done a half hour ago and I'm sitting 10 feet from the counter, why the hell didn't you tell me??? I was very pissed... I made a bit of a scene in the store. :) I think I was just pissed off about the DirecTV guy and I took it out on them. Anyway, I picked up the car and left to go on to take care of a couple of errands for the day.
Finally, after taking care of the errands, I met the family for dinner and then went by the parent's house for the latest disaster of the day. My brother called me earlier in the day to tell me that his computer wasn't working. It was coming up with a message that said 'hal.dll is missing or corrupt'. I tried various things to replace the file without any luck. I told him that I'd take his computer home and try and fix it, but we may have to reinstall Windows if I can't fix it. He wasn't happy about that!
Sunday morning, I pulled the bro's hard drive out of his computer and put it in mine. I was easily able to copy all the files off his hard drive onto mine. I wanted to make a backup of all his files before I did anything, just in case I had to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows. That was all I got to do on his PC because my dad arrived to help me work on retiling the bathroom.
I've mentioned in a couple of previous 'Project Pooper' blogs about my ongoing bathroom remodel project. After weeks and weeks of ripping sinks out, repainting, replacing valves, etc. we are finally making progress. I managed to clean up the broken tiles in the bathroom and it was time to retile the blank section of the bathroom. Dad and I spent a while chipping away at the leftover glue on the floor to clean it up. This was an hour or two of pounding at a chisel with a hammer over and over again to chip out the glue, with lots of little chunks of glue flying the whole time. You definately need to wear eye protection for this. We both did, so it was just a long tiring effort. Finally we got all that cleaned up. After a break for lunch, we laid out the tiles and got them installed pretty easily. The hardest part was cutting the tiles for the edges. I had bought a tile scorer for cutting the tiles. The way the tile scorer works is that you basically 'score' it by cutting a groove in the tile. Then you break the tile and it hopefully breaks along the groove you cut into it. Unfortunately the little hand tool I bought didn't score very deep, so we had to sit there and saw the tiles by hand over and over until we scored it deep enough that it would break along the groove without splitting the tile itself. We got most of them working, but broke a couple. Those tiles we broke, we still installed but we hid them in the back underneath where the new cabinet will be so you won't see them. :) Finally we got the tiles installed, the grout in and cleaned up. The tiling is now done! The room is starting to look like a bathroom again! :) We made great progress there. Next weekend, we put the sink back in!